Saturday, January 2, 2010

LESSONS FROM THE NEW YEAR

Lesson 1: Some kicks should not be blocked with the forearm.

Exhibit A:

I suppose my forearm was a better place for this bruise than, say, my ribs. I'm not sure there would have been a better body part to have used.

Still, something obviously went pear-shaped with that defensive maneuver.















Lesson 2: Do not hyperextend the elbow when punching.



One moment's inattention to form on the punching bag, and you'll wind up with a nasty New Year's boxer's-elbow hangover.



















Lesson 3: (Unillustrated): Don't drop your guard, even if your opponent is only 10 years old.

There's an adorable kid at my gym who's about half my size. Just as the men there don't want to be the jerk who hit a girl, I don't exactly want to be the monster who hurt a child, so when I was paired for a few minutes with him last night, I was so preoccupied with worrying that I might accidentally hit him that I quite forgot that he could, in fact, hit me.

Ali whacked me right in the forehead and left a nice bruise, which is just what I deserve for patronizing him.

Good for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment